The birth of the modern tactical rifle can be traced back to the year 1975. Gale McMillan, founder of McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, partnered with the Marine Corps to develop a pioneering project that is now known as the M40A1. Today, McMillan is the most-issued tactical stock in the world. Army, Navy, Marines, Secret Service, Treasury, Border Patrol, FBI, and so on... our customer list reads like a who's who of the best professional tactical units in the business.
The McMillan tactical series are a combination of benchrest accuracy, battlefield ruggedness, superior ergonomics and specialized design. There is indeed a difference between professional equipment and look-alike equipment. When that difference matters to your job performance, demand McMillan.
The A-5 stock combines all the most requested features of the entire A-series into one professional tactical rifle stock. It is also the most imitated stock in the marketplace. Compared to our other A-series stocks, the A-5 uses a beavertail forearm that is wider and flatter. There's molded-in texturing on the grip and forend that really works. The action and barrel sit lower for enhanced stability. The A-5 uses a trim pistol grip. The dual purpose butt hook is fully functional for either riding sandbags or controlling the rifle with the non-trigger hand. The A-5 can be made as light as 2.5 lbs. in all carbon fiber, the average fiberglass unit weighs in at 3.6 lbs.
- nominal weight 3lbs. 10oz.
- overall length of stock: 31 1/4"
- depth of action area: 1.875" (this will vary depending on action model)
- max diameter action: 1.55"
- max diameter barrel: 1.350" straight bull
- forearm width: 2.5"
- grip width: 1.85"
- buttstock width: 1.6"
- L.O.P. 13.0" - 14.5" (spacer system)
- drop @ comb: 1/4"
Different molds are available for Remington, Winchester, Sako 75, Sako A-series, Howa, Savage, Weatherby Mark V, and most custom benchrest actions in both right and left hand configurations.
We are warehousing the A5 / 700 with these popular add-ons (see the other models we carry for other optional choices):
- $498 - Full Drop-In Inlet - additional bedding is optional
- $26 - Aluminum Pillars Installed On Standard BDL (drilled for our 9/16" pillars on M5 Stealth version as we sell those kits with pillars included)
- $116 - Integral Clamp Bar Adjustable Cheekpiece
- $7.50 - One Bipod Forend Stud
- $26 - Two Flush Cups for Sling Swivels
- $116 - User-Variable LOP (13" - 14.5") via Butt Spacer System
Different models will be warehoused with varying options based upon factory popularity. For example, the A-4 will be stocked with the aluminum saddle adjustable cheekrest and extra flush-cups for varying your carrying sling mount configurations in the field. The A-3 and M40 will be the starting price tacticals, warehoused in the fixed version with the excellent Decelator pad.
Various combinations of these attributes will be in stock from time to time for you to choose from:
- Choose Remington 700 Barrel Channel Channels
- M24 Mil-Spec (.980" muzzle diameter);
- fits mil spec barrels on M24 tactical rifles (also some 40X)
- Sendaro (.850" muzzle diameter)
- also fits Varmint / Police barrels
- We can custom order stocks for all factory and aftermarket barrel channels (i.e. Lilja #7, Shilen #4)
- Call to order with your custom rifle's specific configuration
- Choose From Two Floorplate Inlets:
- Select the 700 BDL for standard factory hinged floorplates, also:
- Select the M5 Mil-Spec Detachable Magazine (DM) Inlet
- fits our "M5 DM Stealth" and "M5 Badger DM" detachable magazine systems
- (slightly wider and deeper than standard BDL to accommodate AICS magazines)
- Choice of Colors and Finishes
- Molded-In Finishes
- Olive Marble - 50% Olive / 25% Black / 25% Tan
- Black Olive Marble - 50% Black / 50% Olive
- Desert Camo - Tan / Olive / Gold
- GAP Camo - Olive / Tan / Black
- Painted Finishes
- Olive w/ Black Speckles
- Tan w/ Black Speckles
- Solid Black
Stocky's take:. The McMillan A5 is the tactical standard by which everything in this country and about 33 others are judged. The hand lay-up fiberglass (carbon fiber is optional) is battle tested and unquestionably able to handle any and all conditions they may be used under. For those desiring the finest composite stock with uncompromising attention to detail and quality, there are few real choices, a McMillan would be on the top of the heap.
One of the reason that these units are so in-demand is because they have the reputation to wring that last little bit of accuracy out of a rifle, especially since the vast majority of accuracy ills are solved with the replacement of lesser quality stocks. Plus, when you feel the balance of a McMillan in your hands; when you see the crisp corners, precision machined inletting, perfectly executed ergonomic form and attention to uniform detail, any difference in price shrinks in relation to the wow-factor. They are literally a lifetime investment If you haven't taken the plunge, or are just tired of fooling around with bargain-priced stocks, jump confidently in with both feet. I frankly don't think you'll ever want another stock. Long after any "savings" is gone and forgotten, your new McMillan A5 stock will be paying tiny little dividends way out there, on the range or in the field.. McMillan Fiberglass Stocks